The rise of digital nomadism has ushered in a new era of remote work, allowing individuals to travel the world while pursuing their professional endeavors. However, with this newfound freedom and flexibility comes the need for comprehensive insurance coverage tailored to the unique lifestyle of digital nomads. SafetyWing is a Norwegian start-up situated in California. Their services are available worldwide, and it focuses in long-term2 trips and coverage for digital nomads.
They cater especially to people who spend a lot of time traveling or residing abroad, such as digital nomads, employees who work remotely, expats, and foreign students. SafetyWing’s insurance policies cover medical expenses, emergency medical evacuation, and other travel-related benefits. The company aims to provide affordable and flexible insurance options for individuals with a nomadic lifestyle or those who require coverage while living outside their home country.
The main advantages and features of SafetyWing’s insurance plans will be covered in detail in this article, with an emphasis on how they handle the unique problems faced by digital nomads. We will go through the clear price structure, a thorough explanation of how to file a claim, as well as the benefits and drawbacks of using SafetyWing insurance.
What does SafetyWing Cover?
Travelers can get coverage for a variety of medical costs with SafetyWing’s travel medical insurance which is also called the Nomad Insurance plan. Prescription medications, hospitalization, emergency medical evacuation, and repatriation are frequently covered under their policies. Depending on the exact plan, they might also pay for things like misplaced luggage or trip interruption that are not medically related. As coverage may differ, it’s crucial to check the policy details for a thorough knowledge of what is covered. So there are no surprises, we will go over each coverage in full below.
You can be ready for almost any situation that might occur while you are traveling if you have SafetyWing travel insurance. They also have a maximum lifetime benefit of $100,000, which is not taxable when paid by an insured individual, in addition to covering expenses for dental care up to $1,000 and evacuation for medical reasons with no deductibles. Routine exams, preventative care, and cancer treatment may not be covered. However, as long as they do not meet the criteria for chronic or congenital problems, you do have limited coverage for pre-existing conditions that manifest suddenly. Additionally, an emergency eye exam is covered for if your prescribed corrective lenses are lost or damaged.
Other Travel Coverage
- You may be eligible for up to $100 per day (a maximum of two days) in reimbursement if an unexpected overnight stay is required due to a flight delay of more than 12 hours.
- $25,000 is used to cover personal liability’-$25,000 is used to cover personal liability
- If you have to cancel your trip due to the passing of a close relative, the destruction of your primary residence, or the need for an emergency medical evacuation, a fee of about $5000 covers your flight back home.
- In a case of a natural disaster, SafetyWing uses $100 per day for 5 nights to cover cost in a new spot.
- In an instance of accidental death or dismemberment, $12,500 to $25,000 is disbursed as the coverage cost
- SafetyWing offers a maximum payout of $250,000 ($100,000 for people 65 years of age and older). You will be responsible for paying the appropriate $250 deductible or excess if you file a claim.
- After an emergency medical evacuation, you may get up to $50,000 for travel, housing, and meals for one close relative to come see you for a maximum of 15 days.
- Once you reach the target country, you may be eligible for up to $10,000 in lifetime transportation assistance if the US Department of State has issued a level 3 or level 4 travel warning.
- Unless a physician determines it is medically necessary, covid 19 testing is not covered. However, If you find yourself in an unfamiliar country with fever and COVID 19 tests are pending, SafetyWing will cover the cost of quarantine for up to 10 days for $50 per day, on the condition that you’re outside your home country, an authority mandates your quarantine and your Nomad Insurance coverage is for a minimum of 28 days.
- In a case of kidnapping, you are covered for ransom, crisis response expenses and personal belongings that was tampered with.
- In a case of denied entry to the United States while on holiday or tourism, traveling via a visitor B-2, reimbursement for the cost of an economy one-way air or ground transportation ticket to your country of origin will be covered.
Almost every nation in the world is covered by SafetyWing travel insurance, making it simple and affordable. They however, do not provide service to users from US sanctioned countries like Iran, Syria, Cuba, and North Korea. Well, we cannot blame them much. As a company situated in the United States, they have to comply with local laws and regulations.
SafetyWing Nomad Insurance Costs
The least expensive SafetyWing Nomad Insurance for four weeks costs $45.08. SafetyWing provides an easy-to-understand price structure.
Your age, which affects the price, and whether or not you want travel insurance coverage while in the US are the only two considerations that could make the insurance cost vary.
The costs for each age group every four weeks are listed below.
|Age||Excluding US||Including US|
|10 – 39 years||$45. 08||$83.44|
|40 – 49 years||$73. 92||$137.48|
|50 – 59 years||$115.92||$226.24|
|60 – 64 years||$157. 36||$308.84|
|65-69 years||$157. 36||$308.84|
Everyone aged 10 to 39 is covered by the regular policy, which is $45.08 each month (4 weeks) and is automatically paid unless canceled. Until you cancel or after 364 days have elapsed when they need to be renewed, you will be charged a monthly cost every 28 days. Nomad Insurance rates significantly increase as you age. You can also choose your travel dates (from 5 to 364 days) and pay a one-time cost, which may be useful if you’re going to be gone for fewer than 28 days or would rather pay in advance for a longer trip. Your location, age, and trip dates are just a few of the variables that the SafetyWing calculator takes into account when calculating the price. Although SafetyWing provides protection and safety for everyone, it does not cover those who are over 70. It is also important to note that you might be able to get free coverage for your kids under the age of ten.
SafetyWing Remote Health cost
Remote health insurance is another product that SafetyWing offers. This package is excellent for businesses wishing to insure a group of remote workers because, unlike nomad insurance, its base cost is only $99 per month. However, provides the following;
- It is a flexible health insurance plan that only provides medical coverage for travel-related emergencies and as such, excludes coverage for other potential travel-related problems.
- If you’re planning a lengthy global trip, this is quite beneficial.
- Every country in the world, including the UK, US, and Australia, has coverage for extended visits.
- In addition to covering illnesses and accidents, it also includes coverage for palliative care, cancer treatments, and specialized care.
How to Make a Claim with SafetyWing?
In order to make a claim,
- You are required to send a proof of claim of any treatment or services requesting to be paid by SafetyWing
- You are also required to provide a claimant statement and an authorization form
- You are required to itemize the bills from the physician
- If any of the expense have been paid for by you or on your behalf, you are required to provide the receipt of payment.
It is important to note that SafetyWing will not pay any claim in respect to care or treatment services furnished by any other insurance program or agency funded by the government.
You can follow the steps by selecting “Make a Claim” from the dropdown menu under “My Profile” on the SafetyWing website. Fill up the claims form (which can be done electronically) and upload it to the portal.
By completing a claims form and uploading it to WorldTrips’ web portal along with images or screenshots of your receipts, you can submit a claim. However, you must file claims no later than 60 days after your insurance policy’s expiration date. If your claim is accepted, you’ll get the money wired into your bank account in fewer than 45 days.
Does Safetywing have Covid-19 Coverage?
Safetywing does provide coverage for COVID-19 related medical expenses, similar to other illnesses. It’s important to note that this only applies for policies purchased after August 1, 2020.
Safetywing’s coverage includes eligible expenses for hospitalization, outpatient treatment, and intensive care for acute onset of COVID-19. However, it does not cover testing for COVID-19 unless deemed medically necessary by a physician. The test must be ordered and carried out at an approved laboratory. Expenses related to quarantine are not covered unless you’re being hospitalized.
Pros of SafetyWing Travel Insurance
- Convenient subscription model
- No time limit on the journey
- A broad coverage for COVID-19
- It is not mandatory to notify SafetyWing in advance of the countries you will be visiting.
- 24/7 help and assistance is available.
Cons of SafetyWing Travel Insurance
- There is no coverage for lost or stolen baggage (unless it is checked).
- Pre-existing conditions are not covered.
- Limited coverage for high-risk sports and activities.
- Their services does not apply to anyone above the age of 70.
- SafetyWing to users from sanctioned countries such as North Korea, Iran, Syria, or Cuba.
- As you age, your costs increases.
- In comparison to certain other insurance agencies, their maximum payout is comparatively lower.
It’s no doubt, Safetywing is a popular choice for digital nomads. The insurance provider has made a name for itself by offering affordable, flexible, and comprehensive insurance plans specifically tailored for the needs of people who work while traveling the globe. Their worldwide coverage, emergency medical services, and trip interruption policies are among the factors that contribute to their popularity. Coupled with an easy-to-navigate online platform and great customer service. Safetywing simplifies the otherwise complex process of acquiring and managing insurance for digital nomads.