Applying for the Mauritius digital nomad visa is necessary if you are after an island lifestyle. This small island lies in the sea between Africa and Asia but is considered an African island. Mauritius is quite literally a digital nomad’s ideal destination, with some of the world’s bluest oceans and white sand beaches. Regardless of her small size, it provides a wonderful environment for both work and play in addition to convenient remote work options. Digital nomads can fully immerse themselves in a thriving community thanks to this friendly and multicultural environment that is influenced by Indian, African, French, and British customs.
The government of Mauritius created the Premium Visa to promote extended stays. Digital nomads who want to work remotely in Mauritius use this Mauritius Premium Visa program because it enables them to stay for a longer period of time. It is important to note that the premium visa can also be used by travelers, retirees, other professionals, and their families in addition to digital nomads.
Basic Things about Mauritius you need to know
Population – 1.3 million
Capital – Port Louis
Climate– mild tropical maritime
Official or general language – English
Currency – Mauritian Rupees
When was the Mauritius digital Nomad visa launched
In an effort to entice travelers to stay in Mauritius for extended periods of time, the government introduced the Mauritius digital Nomad visa in October 2020.
Who Can Apply for a Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa?
Digital nomads, retirees, long-term travelers, other professionals, and their families are all eligible for this visa. However, the following link contains a list of nations whose citizens may be eligible for the premium visa: https://residency.mu/live/mauritius-premium-visa/
What if I am not Eligible for the Mauritius Premium Visa based on my country
You can still visit Mauritius and work remotely if you are not qualified for the Mauritius premium visa. Simply obtain a tourist visa before arriving in Mauritius, and then apply for a premium visa.
Follow these steps to achieve this.
- Obtain a tourist visa: The relevant embassy or consulate in your nation can help you obtain a tourist visa for Mauritius.
- Travel to Mauritius: Once you have obtained a tourist visa, all that is left to do is pack your bags and depart for Mauritius.
- Compile the necessary paperwork: The necessary paperwork is listed under “Requirements for Mauritius Digital Nomad (Premium) Visa”. Both eligible and ineligible people can use them.
- Apply for the premium visa online: Once you have gathered the necessary paperwork, you can do so.
- Submit the application, then await acceptance: You can submit your online application as soon as you upload all the required files and finish the process. Within 48 hours, you will receive a response by email.
How can you be qualified to apply for the Mauritius digital Nomad visa
- Be a citizen of a nation that is eligible.
- Show confirmation of your long-term travel intentions.
- Be sure you have enough travel and health insurance for the the initial period of stay.
- You are not allowed to work in Mauritius.
- Outside of Mauritius should be your primary place of business and/or source of revenue and profits.
- Possess written justification for the application, such as the purpose /objective of visit, lodging requirements, etc.
- Earn a minimum of $1500 per month in income.
Requirements for the Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa
- Have a valid passport with a copy.
- Passport-Sized Photos.
- Proof of IncomeProof of Remote Work.
- Travel and Health Insurance Policy.
- Address of Accommodations in Mauritius.
- Marriage Certificate or Birth Certificates (if you’re bringing spouse/dependents).
Mauritius digital nomad visa application process
Travelling to Mauritius as a digital nomad requires you to apply for a visa. Mauritius digital nomad visa process requires you to follow few steps.
- Gather the appropriate paperwork: Gather your passport and any other supporting documentation you might need to apply for a Mauritius digital nomad visa.
- Valid passport: Verify your passport’s validity by ensuring it will still be valid at least six months after your arrival in Mauritius. Apply for a new passport if necessary.
- Print out a copy of all documents by scanning them all before advance. Every document that is not written in English needs to be translated and notarized.
- Fill the application:Fill the online application form for Mauritius here – https://business.edbmauritius.org/wps/portal/business/home/licensing/Legislation/!ut/p/z1/hZHLboMwEEW_hiV4sHmlO-gjpYmUokRN6k2FwQFXgJFt0n5-gVSKVDWtd-M5c65Ggyg6INrlJ1HlRsgub8b6lQZvIY5xGkew2dw-30EWuSS73z66sHTRC9r_h9CxDVdeDOM8nZGLIdkmkK12AXG3HobI_wlEuwlYJmHqr1LwfPIN_BHyhGjVSHbeqDamv7HAAsFap5AtooX5tIdBlOhQssUCGCG2T8LA9nLs2SzwsR0QXLDwyKAI8OSIO0aiClHFj1xx5QxqVE9iPZvZoEXHtXZ4ydp8UMKIQTtSVRZ89NqCXiqTNxfOglq23IJGFLwbv0ZuzSuhm_kQvwXWUht0uJqD-vZhkb77zWnN91_WTf3S/dz/d5/L2dBISEvZ0FBIS9nQSEh/
- Submit documents : Submit the relevant documentation and your visa application for a Mauritius visa for digital nomads.
- Await approval of your visa: The applicant will be notified through email of the status of their Mauritius digital nomad visa application.
- Travel: Your passport will be stamped with a Mauritius visa, allowing you to remain in the country for as long as the stamp is there.
How Long Is The Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa Valid For?
The Mauritius’ digital nomad visa is valid for a period of one year.
How long does it take to get the Mauritius digital Nomad visa
You will have to wait about 48 hours for an answer and get the answer via email.
How Much Is The Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa Fee?
There is no fee attached as applying for a digital nomad visa in Mauritius is free.
Recommended places to live in Mauritius as a digital nomad
FLIC EN FLAC: This location is well-known for its several-kilometer-long, white-sand beach that is bordered by casuarina trees. Many folks go to the beach on the weekends for picnics and ocean bathing. There are numerous eateries and nightclubs along the route, which keeps the area lively and active.
TAMARIN / BLACK RIVER./ LA PRENEUSE- This region is presently a very well-liked destination for visitors and expatriates because it is surrounded by stunning mountains and a black sand beach. This area is well known for both business and leisure activities, which makes it one of the best places to live. There are numerous stores, eateries, and bars in this area.
PORT LOUIS: The busiest city in Mauritius is the capital, which has a lot of markets and buildings. Numerous restaurants, government offices, historic and cultural monuments, a Chinatown neighborhood, and a lovely Harbour area are all there. Without viewing the capital, a visit to Mauritius would be incomplete. There aren’t many foreigners residing there as it is primarily populated by locals. There are more possibilities for renting office space than there are for apartments. However, getting an apartment in this city will be intriguing.
TROU-AUX-BICHES: Large hotels and resorts make up the majority of this little seaside village of Trou-Aux-Biches in the north. This location is charming, with lovely sand beaches and clear water. This is the spot for you if you prefer to remain in a tranquil setting away from the bustle of the city and crowds.
Digital nomad life in Mauritius
Accommodation: For digital nomads, Mauritius provides a range of lodging choices, from opulent resorts to reasonably priced apartments and guesthouses. High-speed internet access is one of the many conveniences offered by hotels and rental homes. Additionally, the neighborhood provides access to beautiful locations as well as suitable workplace including cafes, restaurants, and coworking spaces.
Mobility: In Mauritius, you have easy options for transportation if you’re a digital nomad. It is simple to tour the many districts of the island thanks to the well-developed transportation network on the island, which includes buses and taxis. In addition, hiring a scooter or a car is a common option for independent travel. You can also board boats to see the beautiful water bodies around.
Food: One of the most varied cuisines in the world as Mauritius’ food combines elements from Chinese, African, Indian, French, and other European cuisines. Each of the nation’s communities has over the years modified and mingled one another’s cuisine to their preferences, creating entirely unique flavors. Additionally, since about 60% of people are vegans, vegetarian cuisine is generally accessible. There is something for everyone, from local specialties to cuisines from around the world. For digital nomads visiting the island, restaurants, cafes, and street food vendors provide a variety of delectable dishes, including fresh seafood, curries, biryanis, rotis, and wonderful tropical fruits.
Fitness and Health: Mauritius has a very active sporting culture, therefore there are many opportunities to stay in shape there. The majority of gyms in Mauritius include a pool, a workout center, a jogging track, a football field, petanque and 5-a-side fields, basketball courts, and a medical facility to enable you keep fit.
Activities you should not miss out on
Golf: In Mauritius, golf has grown to be one of the most popular sports and a major draw for tourists. The third nation in the world where golf is played the most is Mauritius.
Fishing: In Mauritius, deep-sea or big game fishing will undoubtedly give you an adrenaline boost. Grand Bay and Black River both offer day and overnight excursions, or you can join an expedition to one of the many far-flung fishing locations like St. Brandon, Soudan Bank, or Agalega.
Whale and dolphin viewing: Swimming with dolphins off the West coast while whale and dolphin watching from a boat.
Diving: To really appreciate the underwater wildlife of Mauritius, diving is a must-do activity. Divers of all experience levels can be certain to take pleasure in a variety of diving activities under ideal circumstances. PADI Discover Diving is an excellent alternative for beginners, and certified divers can pick from safaris, wreck diving, or cave diving. The top locations are Pereybere, Grand Bai, and Tamarin.
What Are The Financial Requirements For The Mauritius Digital Nomad Visa?
You can present evidence of your monthly income or copies of your most recent three months’ worth of bank statements. To qualify, you must earn at least $1500 per month.
Do digital nomads pay taxes in Mauritius
You should note that any money put in a local bank account while you have a Mauritius digital nomad visa will be subject to taxes. Additionally, if you claim that the tax was already paid in your place of origin, your bank deposits will be exempted from income tax.
VAT in Mauritius